A two-day conference titled, “Francis, a Voice Crying Out in the World: Mercy, Justice, Love and Care for the Earth.” The event, which will explore the historical foundation and issues that have defined the pontificate of Pope Francis, commemorates the pontiff’s recent fifth anniversary.
Nine preeminent keynote speakers will be featured including His Eminence Cardinal Joseph Tobin, CSSR, Sixth Archbishop of Newark, NJ whom will open the conference with a presentation titled, “Flight or Field Hospital: Pope Francis and the Church’s Engagement with the World.”
WHEN: Conference opening 7:30 p.m., Thursday, April 12. See schedule for times and locations of presentations, breakout sessions and events held through April 15.
WHERE: Al presentations and events held on Villanova’s Main Campus, 800 East Lancaster Avenue, Villanova, PA 19085. *See schedule for specific locations.**Please note: no video cameras allowed in events that are held in St. Thomas of Villanova Church. Media may enter through the Main Gate to campus, on Ithan Avenue opposite the Pavilion.
DETAILS: Open to the public (registration required).
- The conference will feature nine preeminent keynote speakers including:
- Cardinal Oscar Andres Rodriguez Maradiaga, SDB, Archbishop of Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- Cardinal Joseph Tobin, CSSR, Sixth Archbishop of Newark, NJ
- Margaret Archer, President, Pontifical Academy of Social Science
- Massimo Faggioli, Professor of Theology and Religious Studies, Villanova University
- John O’Malley, SJ, University Professor, Georgetown University
- Agbonkhianmeghe Orobator, SJ, Hekima University, Nairobi, Kenya
- Anna Rowlands, Durham University, UK
- Jeffrey Sachs, Columbia University
- Antonio Spadaro, SJ, Editor, La Civilta Cattolica
- The Papal Nuncio to The United States, Archbishop Christophe Pierre, will attend the conference as a special guest.
- The conference will feature two special events. An organ concert in honor of Pope Francis’ fifth anniversary will be held at 8 p.m., April 13 in St. Thomas of Villanova Church, with Dr. Mark Bani, St. Joseph’s Church, Philadelphia, performing. A banquet will be held beginning at 7 p.m., April 14 at The Inn at Villanova (pre-registration required).